top of page


CALFRAZ. 12 May 2002. Tamure-Pas De Chat. Owner-J McAllister.

Calfraz spent the whole of his career here at Oakwood stables, racing on 28 occasions between 2004-2010. He raced 19 times over hurdles, once over fences, and eight times on the flat. He lost his life when fatally injured on his last start at Wetherby in November 2010. Calfraz was the last of seven racecourse representatives for his dam Pas De Chat, a daughter of Relko, her best produce was the 92 rated, six furlong sprinter Katwil who was trained by Reg Akehurst during 1990. Calfraz's sire was Tamure, a good source of jumpers, and a son of Sadler's Wells.

Calfraz made his racecourse debut at Carlisle in September 2004, staying on over seven furlongs to finish a nine lengths ninth of 14, he wold run to a similar level at Redcar on his only other start as a two year old in November.He returned at Ripon as a three year old over nine furlongs, and made no show, before making his handicap debut from a mark of 53, with Dean McKeown in the saddle, who reported that the horse was continuously denied a clear run when beaten by four and a half lengths.Over 12 furlongs in July with Mr Shawn Bushby in the saddle at Catterick, he could only finish sixth of the seven runners, but he may not have enjoyed the firm ground.

Calfraz was next sent juvenile hurdling, where he finished fourth, beaten five and a half lengths on his second start at Newcastle, but on his fourth attempt over the jumps on January 2nd, 2006, at Ayr, he finally came good winning at odds of 100/1 under Barry Keniry. He carried a penalty at Wetherby to finish third next time, and again back at Ayr in February, he was once again a solid third.He made his handicap debut, again at Ayr in March, when finishing second under Dougie Costello. from a mark of 107. Back in novice company at Sedgefield in March he filled the third spot, on his final start over jumps as a juvenile.

He returned at Pontefract in October for one of their staying races, and finished a respectable forth, before going back jumping.He raced twice in November, and December, at Hexham, and Sedgefield, going lame on the second occasion, which forced him to be out for a year.He returned at Market Rasen in December 2007, and ran well to finish third, but disappointed on both of his other starts that season.

Calfraz was once again on the sidelines, this time for 14 months, on his return he failed to fire twice in February, and March 2009, which included his only attempt over fences, but after the summer off he returned at Wetherby in November, and finished second in a claiming hurdle.He was back in handicap company at Market Rasen in January 2010, and finished second, only going down by three quarters of a length.He returned to the flat in April for the Pontefract Marathon where he finished fifth in the the race won by his stablemate Fair Spin at 40/1.

His final racecourse appearance was at Wetherby in November 2010, where he was pulled up after the second, having suffered a fatal injury. He may be gone, but never forgotten.

11 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page