top of page


Chernik. 08 April 2001. Norwich-Sue Pickering. Owner-Bendery Properties Holdings Ltd.

The majority of horses that run from Oakwood Stables, are bought to be dual purpose, as it gives the owner an interest all year round, but Chernik never saw a flat track in the whole of his racing days, as he raced in two bumpers, five hurdle races, and 25 chases, over the course of his career under rules. He also ran in seven point to points, for another yard at the end of his career.

Chernik made a very promising start to his career, by finishing fifth in a Wetherby bumper in March 2007, beaten only five lengths, on his next appearance in April, he completed his bumper education, with a third at Hexham, beaten by 17 lengths this time.

After his Summer break, he returned at Hexham in November, making a promising hurdles debut by finishing third under Graham Lee.This run was followed buy two disappointing runs on soft ground, a surface he would steer clear from for most of the remainder of his racing days.After a third place at Wetherby in April 2008, he got off the mark at the seventh attempt,in a four runner race at Hexham, in a race just short of three miles.

That would be his last hurdle race, as on his return from his break in November, he made his novice chase debut at Newcastle, in company that was probably a grade two high.His jumping was poor at Wetherby two weeks later, where he was pulled up before the 11th fence.Back on faster ground in March, and in his first handicap from a mark of 96, he finished forth, but beaten 26 lengths.It was on his next start in April where Chernik finally showed us what he could do.Over Carlisle's extended three miles, and on his favoured faster ground,he was granted an easy lead, and came home strongly under Wilson Renwick, by 23 lengths, for which the handicapper saw fit to raise him a massive 15lb. to a new mark of 110.He raced once more before his break, back at Hexham, in May, but a combination of not being fluent at times, and the extra weight, saw him come home in third.

On his return in October 2009, he disappointingly finished last of the five after breaking blood vessels.A month later at Newcastle he pulled up, but after a short break he returned at Carlisle in March under optimum conditions, and ran right up to his best, finishing second of the 10 runners, beaten by two lengths.He was also placed at Market Rasen in April, and at Wetherby in June, suggesting that the handicapper was in control at the moment.He unseated at Hexham in June, but on his final two runs of 2010, he ran as if he was in need of a break.

Chernik was beset by injury, and didn't race again for 14 months, when failing to complete at Carlisle. His next run was in March 2012, where he pulled up in the race won by his stablemate La Pantera Rosa, and it would be a further four runs and 10 months until in June 2013, from a much reduced mark of 73, where he finished second at Hexham, but beaten 18 lenghs, in the hands of Henry Brooke.He raced just twice more for us, but showed no sparkle, so he was retired from rules racing, but did race in point to points in 2014, for the yard of Lynne Ward, where he won twice, on one of those occasions being ridden by Harriet Bethell.

CORREGGIO. 26 February 2010. Bertolini-Arian Da. Owner-Forty Forty Twenty.

Correggio is by Bertolini out of a Superlative mare, making him a full brother to the Barry Hills trained Prime Defender, who won the Group 2 Duke Of York Stakes at York in 2010, but where as Prime Defender was a sprinter, it was middle distances that brought out the best in Correggio.

Correggio started out life running three times for the Richard Hannon yard as a two year old, placing once, and earning a BHA mark of 80. He was bought by Micky at the Newmarket horses in training sale in the Autumn of 2012, gelded, and given a break to mature over the Winter. His stable debut saw him finish a respectable fifth at Ripon, before winning at the second time of asking at Catterick, unfortunately the stewards saw fit to take the race off him for interference, and he remained a maiden. He finally got off the mark at Pontefract in August 2013, over 10 furlongs, on good to firm ground, winning a three runner handicap at odds of 12/1.

Pontefract would prove to be his favourite venue throughout his career, and it was on his return in April 2014, as a five year old, that he won first time up at that track, this time staying on over the mile.His next run was on heavy ground at Beverley two weeks later, where he trailed in last of the eight, hating the underfoot conditions.He ran consistently for the rest of the flat season, just finding marks in the high 70's a bit too much.

In October 2014, he made his debut over hurdles at Sedgefield, trailing in a very sorry eighth of the 10 runners, he would have one more attempt over jumps two years later, getting no further than the third flight at Wetherby when unseating, he definitely wasn't one for the winter game.

He was back after his break finishing third at Pontefract in April 2015, before achieving his career highlight, on a sunny afternoon at York in June, winning the Macmillan Stakes, under P.J McDonald off a mark of 67, at odds of 8/1.It was back to Pontefract in July, and now at the peak of his powers, he was ridden out for a convincing six lengths success.From his new mark of 82 the handicapper was back in charge, and it would be eight runs, and very nearly a full year until he was just touched off at Thirsk, by a neck, from a reduced mark of 70. He ran well again, finishing third at Beverley in August, but he could not produce the heady days of York again.

In the summer of 2017 he finished runner up twice at Thirsk,and Pontefract, with his mark now down to 58. He raced on through 2018, with his best run coming under Becky Smith at Beverley in the ladies race, and he raced four more times in 2019, his final race coming at Pontefract in July. After showing no spark, it was agreed that retirement was the best policy. Correggio gave his owners some great memories, especially that big day at York. He now lives with Simon, and Julia Cobb, two of those owners, who were 40%, of the Forty Forty Twenty partnership.

MANBOW. 15 April 1998 Mandalus-Treble Base. Owner-Hope Springs Eternal.

Manbow was a big horse that was always going to need plenty of time, so looking back it was quite surprising that he went off at only 9/2 for his debut in a Carlisle bumper in March 2003, perhaps the booking of Richard Johnson had something to do with it.He ran very green in the race, never getting involved, and hanging badly.It was a full 10 months later until his next racecourse appearance at Wetherby, staying on promisingly to finish eighth in the bumper, this time with Graham Lee in the saddle.His next three runs were all over hurdles, showing next to nothing, pulling up twice. and beaten sixty lengths in the other.

After a five months break, he returned in October 2004, making his chasing debut in a novice handicap at Kelso, from the very low mark of 75. We were now to see a very different Manbow, the combination of fences, and a generous handicap mark had done the trick, as he held on well to win at 14/1.At Wetherby just ten days later, off a 7ib higher mark, and with Graham Lee once again riding, he followed up, staying on well, over the extended two miles and seven furlongs.The treble was completed at the same venue a month later, taking his mark to 97, a rise of 22lb's in 41 days.He went down to Sandown in December, and just failed by a neck under Tony Dobbin to complete the four timer.He returned to Sandown in February 2005, but Tony Dobbin pulled him up, reporting that the horse had breathing problems.That didn't stop him from winning next time, on his final appearance that season, at Wetherby, he won by two and a half lengths, taking his rating to 110,

Manbow was off the track until October 2005, when returning he finished second at Haydock, in November at Wetherby he was second again, the handicapper appeared to have finally caught up with him. At Wetherby on Boxing Day, he failed to complete in tacky ground that didn't suit, and the following March in Class 3 company at Newbury, he was never involved.On his final start of that season, back at Wetherby again, and with Neil Mulholland riding for the first time, he ran his race, to finish second.

After his Summer break he returned at Wetherby in October 2006, finishing third of six, before having a go over the big fences at Aintree, where he took a very heavy fall at the twelfth fence.He was off the track a further 11 months, but the break did him the world of good as he came back to win by five lengths at Wetherby in October 2007, Off a career high mark of 116, he finished runner up next time, once again at Wetherby, and that was to prove the peak of his form.

On his final two runs of the 2007-2008 season he struggled to find any kind of form, and it was the same story on his first three runs in October, and November of the following season.It wasn't until the following March, again at Wetherby where he showed us some of his old self, when just failing to give 15lb to stablemate Dawn Ride.He would race just the twice more, finishing his racing career at Towcester in October 2009.

Manbow still lives in Middleham, spending his days in the loving care of a lady by the name of Tina.

12 views0 comments
bottom of page